It’s time to urge New York State legislators to support Farm to School in the 2016-2017 Budget Proposals!
The New York School Nutrition Association, the association of school food service professionals, is requesting an increase in the New York State reimbursement of school meals tied to purchasing New York-grown and raised foods.
The New York State Farm to School Procurement Incentive would reimburse school districts an additional 5 to 25 cents per meal, based on how much of the school district’s food purchasing budget was spent on New York grown foods each year.
Please contact your NYS Assembly Representative and Senator and urge them to support the Farm to School Procurement Incentive in their respective Budgets.
Other ways you can help build state-wide public support for the Farm to School Procurement Incentive:
- Let your School Food Service Director know that you support Farm to School and this increase for their food purchasing budget.
- Tell your family, friends, school administration, board and parents organizations and ask them to contact state legislators.
- Write a Letter to the Editor of your local newspapers.
- Sign up for FINYS Updates to stay informed
- Spread the word on social media; follow @GrowFINYS on Twitter and like our Facebook page
Photo courtesy of the Rock on Cafe’ Broome-Tioga BOCES Nutrition program